Let’s face it, eating “healthy” can be the biggest pain the a**. Truth be told, it’s way easier to grab some type of processed burger to satisfy your tummy. And why wouldn’t you… It’s fast, it’s cheap, it’s delicious, and it’s relatively filling. The idea of having a “healthy” meal over, say a Whopper from Burger King, seems like just too much work.
Who has the time to go buy ALL the ingredients from the store, prep all the food, wait for it to cook, portion it out, calculate the calories, etc?… The list is exhausting! And even if you do make the food yourself (assuming us fellas don’t burn down the kitchen), it typically winds up being the same kind of seasoned chicken with basic broccoli and brown rice. BLAND, BLAND, BLAND… :/
Now, perhaps you’re super determined to get your eating under control, or maybe you enjoy cooking and changing things up, so you willingly do all the above. That’s great! It’s a step in the right direction of living a healthy lifestyle.
But the reality is that most of us do not have the time, want to spend the money, or eat bland food. The way I see it, you have one of three options below in which I include the pros and cons:
- Learn how to adjust your schedule so you’re able to buy groceries and prepare meals.
- PRO: You’ll finally get your eating habits where they should be.
- CON: If you live a busy life, this will certainly force you to adjust your schedule to include hours of prep.
- You can keep whining about your weight and how you’re unsatisfied with your current results. You can complain how eating the “right way” is just too much work and it’s not fair.
- PRO: You give yourself peace of mind that your excuses are valid and entitle you to keep on with the same bad habits.
- CON: This already speaks for itself, but in summation –> No change, no results, period.
- Let someone do all the work for you! (BEST RECOMMENDATION)
- PRO: All the “excuses” of why you couldn’t eat healthy are out the window.
- PRO: $$$ is almost identical to buying your own food or eating out. My cost on average is about $10 per meal, which I know is definitely cheaper than a restaurant and about the same had I bought all the separate ingredients.
- PRO: There’s no guess work. Each meal lid gives you the amount of calories, protein, carbs, and fat.
- PRO: The meals are delivered directly to your door. Don’t complain about not having time to grab ingredients!
- PRO: This is grab-n-go. Put your meals in a bag and walk out the door because you’re set for a day of great eating.
- CON: Now that you’re eating “healthy/healthier,” you need to stay consistent. (Not an easy task, but this makes it do-able)
After reading your choices, I’m going to say that Option 3 is your best bet. The good news is meal prep services are exploding, so chances are there’s one near you. While attending a Beachbody Summit event a few years ago, I recall one of the top coaches saying that if you want to be successful, it’s always worth hiring the best and letting them do the mundane work for you.
For example, say you were looking to buy a new house. Unless you’re an experienced contractor who has the time, you wouldn’t be the one wiring electricity, building the frame, paving the driveway, or tiling the roof. Instead, all of this work is already done for you allowing you to just move in. A meal prep service, in essence, is the same thing; whereby all the hard work is done, you simply need to eat.
Having gone back to school from August 2013-August 2015, my schedule was ridiculous. I knew I wanted (needed) to maintain proper nutrition to function, but didn’t feel I had the time to do so. Therefore, I chose to stick with a meal prep service that removed all the guess work. Below are examples of two meal services that I’ve used over the past few years:
I started with Fresh after being introduced to the company through some friends a few years ago. Recently, I’ve switched to DeliverLean for two reasons.
- I was running into customer service issues, most likely due to system errors which resulted in missing instructions, extra or missed meals, etc. It’s a given, I loved the company. They have great staff and it was hard to switch after having used them for two years; however, these constant “glitches” and errors forced me to look elsewhere.
- I just wanted to try something different. Two years of the same style of food was enough to want to see what other options I had.
Both companies are local and the setup was super simple. You can start either through their website or by phone. Using DeliverLean for example, here’s how it works:
Step 1: Pick Your Plan
The world is full of options and we pride ourselves on being able to provide enough variety to satisfy everyone’s nutritional needs. Four premium quality meal plans to choose from plus upgrade options to gluten free, organic and double protein means your perfect match is available and ready to be selected.
Need help selecting a plan? Our wellness representatives are on hand and ready to help you choose. Picking the perfect fit will ensure you stay on track, enjoy every meal and reach your goals in the shortest amount of time.
Step 2: Customize Your Plan
Tweak it, tailor it, adjust it and change it until it fits just right! Customization is the key to your success and we get that. You want to be able to choose your meals, pick your favorites and sample new flavors right? That’s why we have 96 different menu items each week for you to select from plus a variety of snacks, desserts and organic cold-pressed juices. Build your own menu within your selected plan or mix and match between all meal plans and product lines. Enjoy exotic flavor combinations, unrivaled variety and pure convenience. With no opportunity to get bored, there’s no reason to stray from your plan! Win-Win!
Step 3: We Cook It Fresh
You’ve done your part. Now it’s our time to shine. Once we receive your uniquely designed menu, we start the serious business of crafting the superb quality food we are known for. Our chefs are dedicated, passionate and expertly skilled in a variety of culinary disciplines with influences from around the world. Every calorie is counted, every portion is weighed and every nutrient is measured to ensure you get the best out of each and every meal. Our chefs work tirelessly to guarantee that every dish that leaves our kitchen is of the highest quality. The kitchen is where we come alive and you will believe it when you taste our food!
Step 4: Get Delivery To Your Door
Hand packed and delivered with love! Expect your bag of health to be delivered three times a week in our signature, thermally insulated cooler bags. All you need to do is heat up your meals and savor the flavor. Now that’s working smart by anyone’s standards!
Step 5: Live Better on the DL
Taking the admin out of nutrition is half the battle won. With quality, freshness, flavor and convenience all sorted for you – there’s no reason you can’t achieve your goals and Live Better on the DL. The only thing standing between you and success is a click of the mouse – so let’s get started.
On average, I get two meals a day, 7 days a week. This allows me to have lunch and dinner prepared every day without having to guess. My other meals are as follows:
- Breakfast – SHAKEOLOGY (this takes care of all my fruits, vegetables, vitamins, etc.)
- Snacks – Greek Yogurt / Beef or Turkey jerky / Other higher protein, lower carb based foods such as Tofurky with mustard
- Post workout – Simple mix between a scoop of protein and orange juice / P90X Results & Recovery Formula
To get an idea for what the menu looks like, I’ve placed an example below. I hope this helps to provide a solution to your eating dilemma and hope you can join us for the upcoming December Clean Eat Challenge! Starting December 1st, we’ll be using MyFitnessPal to track everything we eat for 31 days. (CLICK HERE to join us)